OK, it’s happened before when, during the buildup to the invasion of Iraq, Newsweek ran a puff piece on Condi Rice in its December 16, 2002 issue, under the headline “‘The Real Condi Rice’ The Most Powerful Woman In Washington Is Black, Brainy and Bush’s Secret Weapon.” That cover story, however, had at least a semblance of dignified and topical news content, unlike Maki Becker’s “20 things about Condie: You probably didn’t know this about Condoleeza Rice” in the April 4, 2004 New York Daily News.
1. She’s a fitness buff who likes to unwind by working out to music by heavy-metal legends Led Zeppelin, according to People magazine. She wakes up at 5 a.m. and hits the treadmill right away.
4. She loves to shop. “On a Sunday, don’t be surprised if you see me at one of the malls in Washington, D.C.,” she once told Glamour magazine.
7. While in high school, she was a competitive ice skater (l.).
13. She’s a huge football fan and loves the Cleveland Browns. She’s said her “dream job” would be NFL commissioner.
17. In February 2001, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon told reporters he was distracted the first time he met her. “I have to confess, it was hard for me to concentrate in the conversation with Condoleezza Rice because she has such nice legs.”
Oh, and Maki? If you’re going to christen the devil in shorthand like that, it’s Condi and not fucking Condie. At least, that’s how she signed my holiday greeting card.